Takedowns can be confusing at first. A flurry of different body parts where somehow, one person ends up in control of the other.
When you compete against a takedown artist, you may walk off the mat confused, overwhelmed, and frustrated.
Yet, it’s undeniable- the small details matter. Where should you be applying pressure? How do you gauge distance? How do you know what good timing looks and feels like? How do you seamlessly transition from one move to another?
Start with the following articles for the fundamental principles. Then, head on over to my Youtube channel and check out the play-by-play commentary and video analysis of world class wrestlers.
This page is constantly being updated. If you’d like the convenience of getting new updates for new posts straight to your inbox, go ahead and sign up below!
Principles: Why Techniques Work
[Note: Some of these links go to other websites. That’s because I wrote these articles for other sites!]
- Takedowns Deconstructed: The Building Blocks
- World Class Athleticism Deconstructed: Olympic Champion Wrestler Study
- How to Hit Takedowns Like A World Class Wrestler (Jordan Burroughs Analysis)
- Depth Over Breadth: A Double Leg Takedown Demonstration
- How Many Takedowns Do You Really Need?
- Are You Scared To Shoot Takedowns?